This policy was last updated on 07/03/2021.
Your privacy is important to us. This TCJ privacy statement explains the personal data which TCJ processes for its users and uses it for what purposes.
TCJ offers a wide range of learning & publishing products and services to help individuals, institutions and enterprises to operate successfully. These are available on various devices you use in your home, institutions and enterprise. References to TCJ in these statements include TCJ online products, services, websites, apps, software, servers, and devices.
Please read the product-specific details in this privacy statement, which provide additional relevant information. This statement applies to all the interactions TCJ has with you and the TCJ products that display this statement.
Summary of TCJ activities
TCJ works as an online publishing house for educative and scholarly journals, reading and learning materials, news and data. Some of this material is freely available; some of it is only available to paid subscribers. The following summary offers an overview of activities that are undertaken on our online website.
- When you visit our website without setting up an account with us, only limited personalized information data will be processed to provide you with the website itself.
- If you are an individual identified by a B2B model based customer organization then we collect your personal information as is required to service the customer contract requirements. We may play back your personalized information back to the customer organization who had cleared the collection of the basic information and in order to be able to provide usage reporting to that customer.
- In case you register for one of our services, use the workflows and interfaces towards the submission and peer review systems, learning and educative material or subscribe to our newsletters, further personal data will be processed in the scope of such services.
- Your personal data will be used to provide you with relevant advertising for our services and products and for statistical analysis that helps us to improve our website.
- We have implemented appropriate safeguards to secure your personal data and retain your personal data only as long as necessary. However given the cybersecurity challenges in the internet world, the security cannot be guaranteed by TCJ.
- Personal data: means any information relating to a natural person who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an unique identifier data which otherwise would not be accessible in public.
- Processing: means any operation which is performed on personal data, such as collection, recording, organizing, structuring, derivative, storage, adaptation or any kind of disclosure or other use.
III. Informational use of the website
Your visit to our website for informational reasons, i.e. without registering for any of our provided services and without providing us with personal data in any other form, we may still automatically collect additional information about you by our server in an automated way, such as; your IP address, device type, name and IDs, date and time of visits and actions on website, content visited, choices made while on navigation, your screen resolutions used and other technical information as may be needed to reciprocate to your online visit requests.
We use such information only to assist us in providing an effective service e.g. to make our website reciprocate to the needs of your device and to collect broad demographic information for anonymized, aggregated & representative use.
If you are identified by IP or equivalent method as belonging to a customer organization (B2B as stated above) then we will also collect the identity of that organization and use it to meet the objectives as shared by that organization as part of the engagement or usage based contract.
Registration for our services
Any access to a subscribed content is provided through a variety of mechanisms such as IP site licenses, login via third party federated identity providers or by opening a personal login account with us. Using the federated authentication method institutional selection data may be stored locally in your browser and shared with third party websites that you visit to ease the process of institutional authentication.
If your access to our content is provided by an organization or an institution like a university or a company then they choose the access method on your behalf.
A personal account is required to view / interact / purchase content directly from us, or to receive personal services like subscribed news / newsletters and alerts. If you create a personal login with us then we will store and process the followingInformation (such as your name, user ID created and your valid email address) that is provided at the time of registration; Information in connection with an account sign-in facility (e.g. log-in and password details); Communications sent to / by you (e.g. via e-mail or website communication forms). The information that is necessary for the performance of the service is labelled accordingly. All further information is provided voluntarily.
The activities which are undertaken on the basis of your personal data recorded pertain to identifying you at the time of sign-in; Administer your account; Communicate with you; Advertising based upon your profiling; facilitate attendance of a conference; manage manuscript submissions; provide access (where appropriate) to other TCJ contents on your specific requests.
The use of your personal data for behavioral advertising and profiling is done for the legitimate interest to improve your experience while using the website. We also use the personal contact data you provide by registration to inform you directly about our additional products and services. The use of your personal data for directly advertising related products and services is a legitimate interest for us as a provider of this website.
You can object to the use of your personal data for direct marketing at any time. We will then take appropriate measures as needed to refrain from such purposes. You may opt-out of direct marketing via opt-out links in any marketing communication or via user profile pages on the website (wherever available). You can also inform us about your objection by contacting our Data Protection Office at email@example.com.
Registration data is kept until such time as per permissible and expected statutory storage obligations or the need for legal actions that may arise from misconduct within the services or payment problems which can lead to a longer retention of your personal data.
Amendments to this policy